Monday 1 June 2009

Lemon Meringue Pie for a family BBQ

For the family BBQ this weekend I made lemon meringue pie (with raspberries). The recipe came from BBCGoodFood again. I really must expand my recipe research horizons!

I was quite pleased with the pastry as it was just on the right side of biscuity. I had misread the oven temperature though so cooked it on a bit too high a heat so it was a little singed looking. For a first stab at lemon meringue I thought it was ok. I didn't make the lemon bit from scratch owing to time pressures and frankly, that's just too much to do on a Sunday morning. Perhaps it would have been a bit more solid if I'd made it myself but the Tiptree Lemon Curd was good enough.

I had some left over pastry (as always) and made those lovely little jam tarts with sponge hats on which I remember mum doing when we were kids with the left over pastry. Millie and Hettie enjoyed messing about with the spare pastry (and eating it of course).




I've also been asked to make some cakes for a friends engagement party so I'll be stocking up on fondant flowers and hoping my ebay delivery of petal cutouts arrives before Saturday! I'm also going back to my own recipe for cupcakes - the tried and tested 8 8 8 and 4 rather than Fair Cake's recipe. I'll add the tablespoon of cornflour as I like the texture that gives but I'm going to leave the baking powder out as I don't think it's necessary. I tried my old batter mix without the creaming of butter/adding flour and eggs alternatively and just putting it all in the mixer together and it seems to work fine.

Here's another photo of a savory dish I made recently too - a chicken, mustard, leek and creme fraiche plait.

Phil made me very happy this weekend putting in cupboards in our kitchen which now house all neatly and orderly my baking tins and cake making equipment. A tidy cupboard makes for a happy home.

No comments:

Post a Comment