Saturday 18 April 2009

March 2009

March was a good month for baking cakes. I made this fresh cream and raspberry swill roll for lunch at a friend's house in Shenfield which was nicely lemony and light. I still haven't quite got the knack of rolling them up so they have more than one 'turn' in the middle. Perhaps I'm over filling?
As you can see, Phil is practising his cookery photography and getting some really good results. I guess for him this combines so many passions - photography, puddings, eating....

I also made a pineapple upside down cake for a family lunch with fresh pineapple. The tin had a good coating of sugar and butter which melted and caramalised on the pineapple and was lovely and sticky. The sponge was just a victoria sponge recipe with some of the pineapple juice squeezed into it.

And as it was nearly Easter, we took along an Easter nest cake to a friend's for lunch at the end of March. This was a normal chocolate sponge sandwiched with buttercream and also some on top to hold in place the shredded wheat mixed with plain chocolate and golden syrup. Rather a crowded nest I think. Perhaps next time I'll do individual ones. Still the recipients of the cake were very happy and asked for two cakes next time, one for public eating and one for private sampling behind closed bedroom doors...




No comments:

Post a Comment