Friday 8 May 2009

The perfect pavlova AS MADE BY MY MOTHER CAROLLE MORPETH

Earlier in the blog I featured one of the many pavlova's I've made. A couple of people have been asking me for the recipe so I thought I'd write it up here for all to share in the perfect, gooey, crunchy, sticky pavlova.

3 egg whites
6oz caster sugar
1 level tsp cornflour
1 tsp raspberry/cider/wine vinegar
300ml whipping cream
fruit of your choice

Draw a 23cm or 9 inch circle on a sheet of non stick baking parchment and place on a baking tray.
Whisk the egg whites until stiff in a large bowl then add 2oz sugar at a time, whisking in between each addition to stiff again. Finally fold in the cornflour and vinegar.
'Dollop' or pipe the pavlova into the circle marked on the baking sheet. Make a dip in the middle to hold the filling.
Bake in the oven at 180C 350F mark 4 for 5 minutes then at 130C 250F mark 1/2 for a further 45-50 minutes until set but soft in the middle.
Leave to cool slightly then carefully peel off the paper. Don't worry if it cracks.
When completely cold, whip the cream until it just holds its shape and then pile on top of the pavlova. Add fruit on top.

I often make two batches and make a pavlova 'sandwich' as in the picture, especially for large gathering. I try and make the dollops look like a flower...

Enjoy!

I've just looked back at my blog and realised that I'd already posted the recipe...my memory is as bad as my mums...tut tut.

2 comments:

  1. i think you should credit Mum for the pavlova - not just the memory !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have amended the title due to peer pressure.

    ReplyDelete